Prep 8 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the second casserole I have developed with essentially the same ingredients. I think the end product of this one is better, but I want to leave the other one posted in case someone has saved it to their cookbook and expects it to be the way it is. I came up with this one after trying mine and another similar casserole only to find the "cream of" soup to be the dominant flavor. The sauce in this one has an improved flavor, yet is still very easy.
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
- 16 ounces frozen broccoli, cooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place rice and water in microwave-safe dish and cook 5-7 minutes, depending on your microwave's power.
- Combine soup, mayonaise, sour cream, lemon joice, salt, pepper and 1 cup of cheese in bowl. Mix well.
- Stir in chicken, broccoli and cooked rice.
- Spread in 2-quart casserole dish.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and dish is heated through.