Recipe by Kitty Z
The directions on my chai tea bags say, "steep 3-5 minutes, then add milk." The result is not very good; it's watery and not spicy at all. This recipe is my "rescue" for chai tea bags. It's not exactly chai like you get in India, but it's closer at least!
Top Review by Waffles27
I am so glad that I found this recipe! I made some wonderful chai just now following your recipe and it's what I'm totally doing from now on! I bet you could do it with other teas too and create other tea lattes, like green or black tea and it would be like milk tea maybe?
- 1 chai tea bag (I use Trader Joe's)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk (whichever milk you prefer, I just like skim)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place water and tea bag in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for about ten minutes, until the water is reduced by half. If less than 1/2 cup of water remains after ten minutes, just top up with more water.
- Remove tea bag and stir in milk and honey or sugar. Allow the chai to just return to a boil, then pour into a mug and serve.
- Note that if you let chai sit for too long, it will form a "skin." This is normal, but if you'd rather not have it, periodically stir your chai while you enjoy it.