Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Tyler Florence
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 118.29 ml vegetable shortening, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 177.44 ml buttermilk
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients together with a fork.
- Cut in the shortening using a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center and add buttermilk. Quickly fold dry ingredients into buttermilk with your hands until a sticky dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface. Gently fold the dough over itself 3 or 4 times to create layers. Roll dough out to 3/4-inch thick. Cut with a 3-inch biscuit cutter. Transfer dough rounds to a sheet pan. Gather scraps and repeat. Make a dimple in the center to help the top rise evenly. Brush with butter.
- Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated 400°F oven until golden brown.
Great biscuits - light and fluffy! These were easy to make and baked up perfectly in 15 minutes for a yummy and quick homemade breakfast - thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2009