Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
For those of us that like to cook with real butter and olive oil and try to stretch it as far as it can go, you are going to love this. I got this idea from my mother and it is fantastic.
- Let your butter get to room temperature and place in mixer (if you're using a hand mixer then place it in a medium to large bowl).
- Whip the butter until it is fluffy.
- Then with your measured 2 cups of olive oil drizzle it into the butter as it is mixing.
- Once everything is mixed well it will be as thick as cake batter.
- Pour into plastic container with a lid and place in the refrigerator over night.
- It will harden and spreads easily.
I can't give this enough stars, DH and I love this stuff and not just for cooking. We had it on our baked potatoes (DH loves the taste of butter but I worry about his cholesterol) and this not only taste great but is healthier IMHO. I did cut it in half as wasn't sure how it would turn out and there's only the two of us, but next time I'll sure make the whole thing. I must say when I saw how watery it looked (like a thin cake batter) I was a little nervous but after placing in the fridg firmed up perfect and so easy to spread right out of the fridge. I used unsalted butter and EVO and we are thrilled with the results in looks, taste, ease of prep and spreadability. Thanks so much for posting.
I'm a fan of real food, and we always have some of this "spread-y butter" on hand! For a spread, I use salted butter for flavor and extra virgin olive oil for health benefits. For baking, I use unsalted butter and light olive oil for a more neutral taste. I first came across this recipe in The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook, so I use a food processor for mixing instead of a blender. I haven't tried, but I think it would be fun to add honey or herbs. Using tiny molds for individual servings would be fun, too!
This has been a huge hit here at home with the fam and also with guests! Thank you so much for the recipe. I do make one change to the recipe. Instead of two cups olive oil, I use 3/4 to 1 cup each of olive oil and coconut oil. It tastes great and so much healthier than straight butter!