Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
One day, long ago, the pilot light in my oven went out and I didn't realize that my meatloaf was sitting there uncooked until shortly before dinner. I quickly made patties and turned it into burgers -- the best burgers we'd ever eaten. I tweaked at the recipe a little to get the proportions of onions and herbs just right and now the family turns up their noses at plain burgers. The herbs are unobtrusive but they bring out the flavor of good meat.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 pinch celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chopped onion (about 1/2 onion)
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 6 -12 slices American cheese (or other cheese according to taste)
- Form into 8-10 patties. Pack well to make sure they don't fall to pieces.
- Pan broil or grill to desired doneness.
- Top each burger with 1/2-1 slice of cheese according to taste and cover briefly to ensure that the cheese melts.
- Serve with all your favorite hamburger toppings.
- Feel free to vary the seasonings to suit your tastes.
Fantastic!!! We loved these!! Thank you for the great burger recipe!!