Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Makes 60 2" x 3/4" sized rectangles. These are totally corn free, refined-sugar free, whole grain and high protein dog biscuits with the winning combination of peanut butter and bacon! Wheat free except for the high-fatty-acid wheat germ, which helps keep the skin and coat healthy and eyes bright. If your dog's allergic to wheat, use rice or spelt bran, or more ground flaxseed. Inspired by flickr.com/photos/taraanderson/450027610/
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup rye flour
- 1 cup barley flour
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa flour
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seed flour
- 3⁄4 cup soy flour
- 3 tablespoons teff flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon guar gum
- 1⁄4 teaspoon corn-free baking powder
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄3 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup dry quick tapioca (Minute tapioca)
- 1⁄4 cup whole flax seed
- 1⁄2 cup bacon bits
- Combine oats and boiling water, let stand 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together stock, oil, honey, peanut butter and egg until well combined.
- Beat in the oats.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flours, guar gum, baking powder, ground flaxseed, wheat germ, tapioca, whole flaxseed and bacon bits.
- Slowly beat the dry mixture into the peanut butter mixture.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until no longer sticky. Wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment.
- Roll out the 1/2"-thickness and cut into desired shapes.
- Place 1" apart on the sheets.
- Bake 45 minutes, until golden brown.