Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
If you don't have time to make beef broth using beef bones, use purchased beef broth and enhance the flavor by adding a few ingredients to bring out other flavours. The key is brown the vegetables to enhance the flavour. By using tomato paste you will end up with a deep rich broth. Found this in one of my favorite magazines Cuisine at Home.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 cups beef broth, purchased
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 -10 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sauté vegetables and garlic in olive oil in a large ovenproof pan over medium high heat.
- Cook until the vegetables begin to brown, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomato paste to coat the vegetables.
- Transfer to the oven and roast for 1 hour.
- Add broth and remaining ingredients. Cover, return pot to the oven, and roast for one more hour.
- Remove from the oven, let cool, then strain.