Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Posh fare for poor students. Healthy, filling, fibrous, and, most importantly, DIRT CHEAP.
Make and share this Better Beans on Toast recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (16 ounce) can vegetarian baked beans, in tomato sauce
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1⁄2 small onion, diced fine
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste or 2 tablespoons prepared ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce or 1 dash Tabasco sauce or 1 dash soy sauce
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the peanut oil for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste, continuing to sauté.
- Add the vinegar, mix thoroughly, add the tin of beans. Reduce heat and allow to simmer.
- Toast the bread to crispy while it simmers.
- Check taste of beans, season to taste.
- Allocate about 3/4 cup of beans per 2 slices of toast. This yields enough for 2-3 lunches, since the beans keep for a few days.
- For vegetarian do not use the Worcestershire sauce or find a vegetarian version.
Wonderful dish--quick, easy and delicious--served this with chopped onions on top. Would also be good with hotdogs.