Recipe by YummySmellsca
The canola oil & walnuts in this recipe are rich in Omega 3s while the spelt and oats are rich in folate and zinc. The cocoa and bananas are a good source of magnesium.
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄3 cup hot water (or coffee)
- 2 large over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup milk (or non-dairy alternative)
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1⁄4 cup oat flour (finely ground oats)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350F, line 3 cookie sheets with parchment or silicone mats.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flaxseed and hot water. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Mash in the bananas, then beat in the honey, oils, vanilla and milk.
- Beat in the flours, cinnamon, cayenne, cocoa, baking soda, oats, walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Optional: cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill 2 hours.
- Drop tablespoons of batter onto cookie sheet.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, for 10 minutes.
- Cool before serving.