Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
It's always the same old same old story... When the bananas are sitting there in the fruit bowl, not quite ready to be eaten yet, still a bit green, the kids go nuts and complain that there are no bananas in the house. Then, when the bananas are finally ripe, they aren't in the mood. And finally, they turn overripe and no one wants to eat them. What happens next? Banana bread! There are a zillion banana bread recipes out there, but this one is the best!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F) and adjust a rack to the center position.
- Lightly butter and flour a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan (regular or nonstick).
- Whisk together the first four ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Place the eggs, sour cream, butter and vanilla in the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until the mixture is homogenous, about 30 seconds.
- Break up the bananas into 1 inch pieces and add them to the food processor.
- Pulse until the bananas are broken up but not quite puréed with small chunks remaining (about six 1 second pulses).
- Add the banana mixture along with the optional mandatory nuts to the dry ingredients.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold together until the dry ingredients are just moistened and no streaks of flour remain.
- Transfer to the prepared loaf pan and bake until the top is a dark golden brown with a cracked, domed top, and a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 55 to 60 minutes.
- (Start checking bread after 45 minutes.) Cool for 5 minutes before removing bread from pan.
- Continue to cool on a wire rack for several minutes more.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
A lovely, silky-smooth banana bread. I was so angry at baboo for eating one of the bananas just before baking! Even short one banana, it was a very nice bread and we'll be making it again.
Really good recipe, very sweet, very moist (although my bananas were a little beyond speckled, and were also extremely large). I used this to make muffins and it worked great-but I wish I had filled the muffin cups all the way to the top.
I do not care for banana bread. But make it alot for dh, he loves it.And he informed me this is the best one ever. On line 3 I think you meant to say,frist 4 ingredients, I did the whole thing in my big mixer.with no problem.thank you,will keep this one.