Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sauteed onions and rubbed sage lend this "winter's day warm-up" a special punch. Enjoy!
- 6 1⁄4 lbs yellow potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup salted butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup colby-monterey jack cheese
- 6 slices cooked crumbled bacon (divided)
- chives (for garnish)
- sour cream (for garnish)
- Wash potatoes and bake in oven or microwave until almost fully-cooked.
- Melt butter or margarine in large saucepan (medium heat.) Add onion and saute until golden.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and sage.
- Stir constant 1 minute.
- Add broth and milk.
- Dice baked potatoes, skin on, into quarter-size peices.
- Add potatoes to mixture.
- Cover soup and simmer on low heat 30 min-1 hour hour, stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving, add in cheese and 4 peices bacon, crumbled.
- Serve hot.
- Garnish with cheese, bacon crumbles, chives, and sour cream.
- Keeps several days in freezer or fridge.