Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Baked oatmeal is so yummy and if you haven't tried it, you're missing out! This recipe is special in several respects- for one, it contains not only rolled oats, but also oat bran and steel-cut oats. It's also not too high in fat and you mix in some fruit of your choosing, for an extra tasty treat. Delicious and healthy, this is the kind of special breakfast you can feel good about serving your family in the morning. Enjoy! (From BH&G)
- 2 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup oat bran
- 1⁄4 cup steel cut oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup oil or 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups fruit (such as blueberries, chopped apples or pears or strawberries or other fruit of your choosing)
- vanilla yogurt (optional) or milk (optional) or half-and-half (optional) or cream, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine rolled oats, oat bran, steel-cut oats, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, mix together milk, eggs, applesauce, oil or butter, and sugars.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry and pour into prepared casserole dish.
- Bake, uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Stir oatmeal and fold in fruit.
- Bake, uncovered for about 20 more minutes or until top is lightly brown.
- To serve, spoon into bowls and serve with yogurt, milk, half-and-half or cream if desired.
I left out 1/2 c rolled oats and used equal amounts of oat bran, mealed flaxseeds, and steel cut oats (1 cup total). I used 1 cup of applesauce (for the applesauce and the oil in the recipe). I left out the sugar and brown sugar and instead used a little less than 1/2 cup of honey. I added a couple tablespoons of slivered almonds. I used mixed berries for my fruit and top each serving (makes 8 servings in my opinion) with a spoonful or 2 of vanilla non-fat yogurt. I put my changes in a nutrition calculator and it said that each serving (of 8) has 200 calories, 13g of fat (less than .5g of saturated fat), 10g of fiber, and 12g of protein. It's also very high in iron. I don't usually like oatmeal but I think this is delicious and will definitely be making it again very soon!
This is really good. Add chopped appels and cranberries and white sugar on top to give it more pizzazz.
This was so awesome! I did not have oat bran so I added whey protein powder, 1/4 cup.