My version of Mac n' Cheese for school. In the amount of time it takes to cook the pasta, I had a luxurious cheese sauce ready! Poured into the casseroles, sprinkled with more cheese and whole wheat breadcrumbs, it was declared "Best Mac and Cheese Ever" by the kids (and I think the old cook was jealous!)
- salt (for pasta water)
- 2 kg elbow macaroni
- 6 cups whole milk, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 kg shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup dry Italian breadcrumbs or 1 cup crushed goldfish crackers
- Preheat the oven to 375F and grease 2 large casserole dishes.
- Boil a large pot of water and add salt. Add macaroni and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain well and return to pot.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 5 cups of milk in a saucepan.
- Stir in the pepper, parsley, garlic powder, salt and butter.
- Whisk the cornstarch with the remaining 1 cup milk until smooth, then add to the hot milk and cook until slightly thickened.
- Stir in all but 1 cup of the cheese until melted.
- Pour over the pasta in the pot and fold in completely.
- Divide pasta between the casserole dishes, top with reserved cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until cheese melts and casserole is bubbly.