Recipe by HokiesMom
Found in a TOH magazine and clipped out to try! Boy was I ever glad I did. A lemony loaf of bread with the extra zip of dried cranberries. I've made this as a regular sized loaf and also in mini loaf sizes for gifts. I have also used walnuts and almonds in this bread and actually prefer the almonds - but use whatever nut you love. The addition of the lemon glaze just takes this bread over the top. *** Edited 11/19/09 - This recipe makes TWO 9x5x3" pans instead of one. Sorry for my error! If you want just one loaf just halve the recipe and it will work perfectly! ***
Top Review by waynejohn1234
Finally got around to making this bread (1/2 quantity). Always follow a recipe exactly as written before rating. Love lemon and cranberries but felt that it needed 1/2 cup butter rather than 1/3. Maybe we like a richer taste. Next time (and there definitely will be a next time) I will make this change. A suggestion re using lemon rind. You get a more potent lemon taste if the rind is grated into the sugar and rubber together with your fingers. Thanks for posting.P.S. with the changes mentioned above they are now better than our Tim Hortons (so agree with other reviewer!!!!)
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon peel, grated
- 4 eggs (or can use 2 cups egg-substitute)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 cups dried cranberries
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (or almonds)
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar, lemon juice & peel.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl; then add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Stir in cranberries and nuts.
- Divide batter between TWO greased 9x5x3" bread pans or six greased 5.75x3x2" mini loaf pans.
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour (9x5x3") or 40-45 minutes (5.75x3x2") or until pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire rack.
- With a toothpick or skewer, poke 12 holes into each loaf.
- Cool bread completely.
- Combine sugar and lemon juice for the glaze and combine until the sugar is dissolved completely. Spoon glaze over loaf. Cool completely before serving.