Found in a TOH magazine and clipped out to try! Boy was I ever glad I did. A lemony loaf of bread with the extra zip of dried cranberries. I've made this as a regular sized loaf and also in mini loaf sizes for gifts. I have also used walnuts and almonds in this bread and actually prefer the almonds - but use whatever nut you love. The addition of the lemon glaze just takes this bread over the top. *** Edited 11/19/09 - This recipe makes TWO 9x5x3" pans instead of one. Sorry for my error! If you want just one loaf just halve the recipe and it will work perfectly! ***
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon peel, grated
- 4 eggs (or can use 2 cups egg-substitute)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 cups dried cranberries
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (or almonds)
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar, lemon juice & peel.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl; then add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Stir in cranberries and nuts.
- Divide batter between TWO greased 9x5x3" bread pans or six greased 5.75x3x2" mini loaf pans.
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour (9x5x3") or 40-45 minutes (5.75x3x2") or until pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire rack.
- With a toothpick or skewer, poke 12 holes into each loaf.
- Cool bread completely.
- Combine sugar and lemon juice for the glaze and combine until the sugar is dissolved completely. Spoon glaze over loaf. Cool completely before serving.