This is a popular and lovely Lebanese pickle served as a mezze. Perperation time does not include preserving time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wipe clean the aubergines.
- 2Poach aubergines in salted water for about 15 minutes until soft and then set aside to cool.
- 3Once cool, squeeze very gently to get rid of the water.
- 4To make the stuffing, mix the chopped walnuts, chopped garlic and dry chilli flakes together and season with salt and pepper.
- 5Cut a slit lengthwise down the middle of each aubergine but not right through, leaving the ends so as to form a pocket.
- 6Stuff with the walnut mixture.
- 7Pack the aubergines stem ends up in a completely sterile glass jar with a firm seal and cover with olive oil from time to time as you pack in the layers of aubergines.
- 8Make sure the aubergines are submerged in oil.
- 9Keep refrigerated until rich flavour develops, for about a week before serving.
- 10This will keep for a month in a refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Betingan Makdous (Stuffed Aubergine Pickle in Olive Oil)
Serving Size: 1 (978 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 737.6
- Calories from Fat 534
- Total Fat 59.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 26.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 31.7 g
- Sugars 21.7 g
- Protein 10.2 g