Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is my friend's recipe. She got it from her friend Nina who got it from a kosher cookbook she received when she got married.
- 6 lbs beef brisket
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup kosher wine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Place brisket in heavy heated Dutch oven.
- Brown meat on all sides over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic. Brown, about 15 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Cover pot and simmer about 3 hours until meat is tender.
- You can heat it in the oven if the meat is too large for the pot.
- This is best made ahead and you can freeze and reheat it.
- Slice meat against the grain.
This is identical to my mom's brisket recipe that she has been making for years. She uses water instead of wine. Delicious!
Really wonderful. I used water instead of wine but it was still really fantastic. Thank you.