Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I had a mad craving for swedish meatballs tonight. I couldn't find a recipe that was really what I was looking for, so I came up with this. I'm posting it here for safe keeping. Perfect for a quick supper when using premade frozen meatballs.
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule (or beef)
- 10 1⁄2 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 4 ounces canned mushrooms, drained
- 8 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
- Saute onion in olive oil until softened.
- Stir in garlic and mushrooms, cook until heated through.
- Add the can of mushroom soup and a half can of water.
- Stir well then add in the chicken or beef flavor base, cream, paprika, onion powder and parsley flakes.
- Stir well, then stir in sour cream.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add hot cooked meatballs and let simmer for a few minutes.
The taste of the sauce is fantastic. I agree with the other reviewer that it i a little too thin, but a quick cornstarch slurry helped to thicken it right up. I put my sauce and meatballs in a crockpot for 4 hours so that the meatballs picked up on the great flavors from the sauce. Very good recipe I will definitely be using this one again.
Very good. Comes out a little too thin for me but overall an excellent recipe. One that lends itself to easy modification; my specialty!