Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
The easiest most incredibly delicious brisket recipe. This was given to me at Aimee's, my daughter's, insistence. Update: December 10/07 - it turns out great when you roast it in a bag - also makes clean up a breeze!
- 1 (3 lb) first cut beef brisket
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packageof french's onion soup mix
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 -4 tablespoons margarine or 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- salt, to taste
- fresh fresh coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- carrots or new potatoes or turnip
- Sear onions in margarine and then allow to caramelize, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix soup mix, stewed tomatoes, cranberry sauce in bowl.
- Season brisket with salt and pepper.
- Cover brisket with onions and then with the cranberry sauce mixture.
- Cover and roast for about 1-1/2 hours and check to see if tender.
- Then add carrots and potatoes to pan, to roast for another hour.
- Serve with potato pancakes, or parsley noodles.
I really enjoyed this brisket (my first ever attempt). My husband really liked it too, even if he kept asking for it to be corned with cabbage instead! Really super, duper easy to make. I left out the potatoes as I was serving it with latkes and a prepared (frozen pre-made dough)honey wheat loaf of bread. Very delicious dinner.