Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I originally found a recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook, but I have changed it a bit over the years to fit my family's tastes. You can easily change the veggies in the sauce and serve with fried rice or oriental style noodles. My kids love the chicken "nuggets" as a finger food and enjoy dipping them in the sauce.
For the chicken Marinade you need
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce, i use low sodium
- 1 dash white pepper, to taste
For the chicken breading you need
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
For the sauce you need
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth, i use low sodium
- 3⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar or 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 8 ounces pineapple chunks, drained
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 1 (4 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained
- 1 bell pepper (optional)
- To make the chicken: Cut the chicken into bit size nuggets.
- Mix the egg, 1 Tbs. cornstarch, 2 teaspoons soy sauce and white pepper in a glass or plastic bowl.
- Mix in the chicken chunks, stir and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refridgerate for at least 20 minutes, I often do overnight.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet to about 350 degrees F.
- Mix 1/2 Cup flour, 1/2 Cup water, 1/4 Cup cornstarch, 1 Tbs. oil, salt, and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda for the breading into the bowl with the chicken and marinade.
- DO NOT DRAIN OFF THE MARINADE!
- Mix until well coated!
- Fry these pieces a few at a time until all are golden brown.
- Drain off the chicken on paper towels.
- Set chicken aside and keep warm.
- I usually put it in the oven at a very low temperature.
- For the Sauce: Drain and chop all veggies for the sauce at this time.
- Set aside, but keep handy.
- Heat 1 1/4 Cup sugar, 1 Cup chicken broth, 3/4 Cup rice wine vinegar, 1 Tbs. oil, 2 teaspoons soy sauce and 2 cloves garlic to boiling.
- Mix 1/4 cup cornstarch and 1/4 cup COLD water in a seperate container.
- Make sure it is smooth.
- Stir into chicken broth mixture.
- Cook and stir about 10- 15 seconds.
- By this time it should be thickening.
- Stir in veggies and pineapple.
- Heat to boiling once again to get the veggies and pineapple tender.
- Pour over chicken or serve on the side.
My family absolutely loved this dish. We are always looking for something with an asian flavor and this worked for us. No problems following the recipe or with the breading. I did let mine sit a bit before frying as kids were trying to help.
I doubled this quoted part of the recipe and it stayed breaded much better the second time I made this. "Mix 1/2 Cup flour, 1/2 Cup water, 1/4 Cup cornstarch, 1 Tbs. oil, salt, and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda for the breading into the bowl with the chicken and marinade." Hope this helps.
This was absolutely fantastic. I have only just started cooking (within a week) and have been hunting for recipes that i though I could safely conquer. I had absolutely no problems at the cooking, and was proud of the result. The only difficulties I did face was the recipe itself. Being from Australia, and working in metric measures, I found the conversion button helpful on a couple of incidences, but it changes all the measurements into liquid measures, which is aweful confusing. I also found the steps hard to follow in the current numbered format. OVer all though, this is a fantastic recipe. Donnah.