24 hrs 40 mins
I finally treated myself to a great big ole' frying pan with a lid. I've always wanted one that could fry a whole chicken at once. I've never perfected a recipe for fried chicken, just hit and miss, but I wanted to show off for my DBF so I poured over my recipe books. I was torn between seasoning overnight, or soaking in buttermilk. I fused the two methods together and came out with a real winner. The best of both worlds. I do the seasoning the night before, then do the buttermilk before I go to work in the morning. Then cook when I get home.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and pat chicken parts dry.
- 2Mix together salt, 1tsp black pepper, garlic powder and accent into a small bowl.
- 3Sprinkle chicken with mixture.
- 4Place seasoned chicken in a ziplock bag overnight in fridge.
- 5The next morning, pour the buttermilk into the bag of chicken. Squeeze out all of the air and mush the bag around making sure that all chicken is coated with the buttermilk.
- 6Place back into fridge and let chill for five hours or more.
- 7Mix flour, remaining pepper, and paprika into another bag.
- 8Remove chicken from bag and place into a colander to let drain for a minute or two.
- 9Get a large frying pan with a tight fitting lid and pour enough oil in to reach about 1/2 inch deep. Heat it over medium high heat until flour sizzles when added.
- 10Lower heat to medium.
- 11Shake chicken parts one at a time in bag of flour until all is coated.
- 12Place chicken into hot oil skin side down. Thighs should be placed in center if a whole chicken is being used.
- 13Cover and let cook for about 2 minutes or until crust starts to form. Lower heat to just under medium.
- 14When tops are looking wet, blood is rising, and sides look browned, turn chicken over. cover again and let cook until browned on bottom.
- 15Remove chicken from pan and let drain on a cookie cooling rack. Cover with foil while draining. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beth's Best Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 635.9
- Calories from Fat 319
- Total Fat 35.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 174.9 mg
- Sodium 1098.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 48.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: