Recipe by Elmotoo
I was craving Huevos Rancheros but didn't have the stuff. So I made this up. The kids loved it so I thought I'd get it submitted before I forgot what I did! We couldn't think of a name so I just named it after myself. ;) I think it would be a nice brunch dish. This of course can be modified to suit your own tastes. This was a bit zippy with only 1 jalapeno. I used preshredded mexican cheese but whatever makes you happiest will work just fine. I might add some hot sauce next time - jalapeno or chipotle.
Top Review by Rita~
The only change I did this time was used summer canned pureed tomatoes. A great come back recipe. Thanks again. ;)
Review May 19, 2009 Spicy good! I made 1/2 the recipe. Sauteed button mushrooms with the onions. I served on a tortilla. Thanks for a great breakfast!
Made for ZWT 5.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded & minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oregano
- 4 -6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic & jalapen;, saute until softened.
- Add tomatoes, salt & pepper; Cook until reduced & thick.
- Crack eggs into a small bowl & set carefully over tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle with chili powder.
- Cover & cook on low about 5 minutes or until barely set.
- Sprinkle on cheese, cover & cook another few minutes until cheese is melted.