Recipe by Elmotoo
Well.... it is my humble opinion that the baked french toast recipes that sit overnight are soggy & mushy. So I tried this. Then added some stuff. And crossed my fingers. The topping idea I hijacked from another recipe online then adjusted to my personal taste. I do hope you enjoy; my family swooned so I came running here to post. ;) I think you could add any dried fruit or even fresh fruit - apples, pears, bananas - cut up into bite sized pieces. I think adding orange zest to the topping might be yummy, too. Go ahead...make it your own!
Top Review by Sharon123
Delicious casserole! I scaled the recipe down for two and ate it for two breakfasts! I used agave syrup instead of maple syrup and will be making this for a potluck soon. Thanks! Made for Australian Swap Feb. 2012.
- 1 loaf challah
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 10 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar (or vanilla sugar!)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- The night before, thickly slice the bread & lay out on a cooling rack.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9x13 pan well. Tear up the dried bread slices into bite sized pieces into the pan. Sprinkle with raisins & coconut.
- In an 8c measuring bowl, whisk eggs. Add milk & cream (you can use whatever combination of dairy you want. I have skim milk in the fridge so I added some cream. If I had whole milk, I would have used that & skipped the cream). Add sugar, vanilla, cinnamon & whisk thoroughly. Carefully pour over the bread. With a spatula or your (clean) hands, carefully push down to make sure it's all wet. Let sit 15 minutes or so.
- For the topping:.
- In a small bowl, combine butter, brown sugar & cinnamon. I mushied it all up thoroughly with my hands. Spread on top of the french toast mixture. It doesn't spread very easily; I used my hands. Sprinkle almonds on top. I sprinkled almonds on only 1/2 because dd doesn't care for nuts. ;).
- You may want to consider putting a cookie sheet under the baking dish in case there are any spills. Bake in preheated oven 50 minutes or until toasty on top & set. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Pour just a little warmed pure maple syrup on top.
- Enjoy. :).