1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Adapted from Edible Herbs by Charles W.G. Smith. Filled with tons of antioxidant-rich, hearty vegetables, black soybeans (insanely high in omega-3 and -6 as well as anthocyanins!) and flax-enriched pasta, its a tasty vegan way to keep your heart, skin, digestion and detoxification systems at peak condition while keeping a smile on your face!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 large sweet onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 large carrots, sliced into thin coins
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup diced tomatoes with juice (or 1-2 large fresh diced tomatoes)
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1/2 lb chopped fresh green beans (about 2 cups)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black soybeans, drained and rinsed (or black beans, also very high in anthocyanins)
- 5 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 2/3 cup whole wheat rotini, I used Catelli Healthy Harvest Flax Omega-3 (or your favourite multigrain or gluten free rotini)
- 1/2 lemon, zest of
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, until a deep golden colour.
- 2Add the garlic, celery, carrots and sweet potato. Raise the heat to medium high and cook 4-5 minutes, until the celery and carrots have begun to soften.
- 3Pour in the white wine and stir vigorously to deglaze.
- 4Stir in the diced tomatoes, broth, herbs and chili powder.
- 5Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and cook 35-40 minutes, until the sweet potatoes and carrots are cooked through.
- 6Uncover, remove the bay leaf and stir in the green beans, soybeans, spinach, pasta and lemon zest.
- 7Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes, until the pasta is done.
- 8Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beta to Omega Soup
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.7
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 103.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth
lemons, zest of