Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Adapted from Edible Herbs by Charles W.G. Smith. Filled with tons of antioxidant-rich, hearty vegetables, black soybeans (insanely high in omega-3 and -6 as well as anthocyanins!) and flax-enriched pasta, its a tasty vegan way to keep your heart, skin, digestion and detoxification systems at peak condition while keeping a smile on your face!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 large sweet onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 large carrots, sliced into thin coins
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup diced tomatoes with juice (or 1-2 large fresh diced tomatoes)
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1⁄2 lb chopped fresh green beans (about 2 cups)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black soybeans, drained and rinsed (or black beans, also very high in anthocyanins)
- 5 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat rotini, I used Catelli Healthy Harvest Flax Omega-3 (or your favourite multigrain or gluten free rotini)
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, until a deep golden colour.
- Add the garlic, celery, carrots and sweet potato. Raise the heat to medium high and cook 4-5 minutes, until the celery and carrots have begun to soften.
- Pour in the white wine and stir vigorously to deglaze.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, broth, herbs and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and cook 35-40 minutes, until the sweet potatoes and carrots are cooked through.
- Uncover, remove the bay leaf and stir in the green beans, soybeans, spinach, pasta and lemon zest.
- Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes, until the pasta is done.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.