Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I think this is our #1 all time family favorite and it's often requested for birthday dinners. It's the 'Bestest' because my daughter described it as such when she was little. This freezes well and I've added directions for that and for reheating.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 (2 ounce) package onion soup mix (for 3 or 4 servings)
- 6 cups boiling water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup celery leaves
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄3 cup dried split peas
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- grated parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, brown meat, drain excess fat.
- Add salt, pepper, oregano, basil, seasoned salt, and onion soup mix.
- Stir in boiling water, tomato sauce, and soy sauce.
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare celery, celery leaves, and carrots; Then add to simmering mixture with split peas and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- Add macaroni and simmer for 30 minutes longer, adding more water if necessary and stirring occasionally.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese over individual servings.
- To freeze: place soup in a rigid container and freeze. To reheat: remove from freezer and thaw. Place soup in saucepan and heat, stirring, until hot.
I've made this soup about a dozen times. My family loves this soup. It's my go to recipe when the kids are sick. My can of tomato soup is 14 oz. I also increase the seasonings and liquids because the kids love the juice. So I add 1 1/2 times the amount of seasonings and juices (except for the salt which I don't add). Instead of peas, I use quick cookig barley the last 20 minutes. I cook the pasta separately and then have the family add it to their soups. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.
Only used 1 lb beef, but that was plenty. Put it in a crockpot and took it skiing with us. Finished every bite!
Very good, went well with allison williams easy beer bread #75878, I did do a few things differently...I added a handful of rice and bow tie noodles, a can of tomato soup and 1/2 can of water...I used some meatballs I had in the freezer in place of the hamburger. Will be sure to make this again THANKS!