Cook1 hr 30 mins
I think this is our #1 all time family favorite and it's often requested for birthday dinners. It's the 'Bestest' because my daughter described it as such when she was little. This freezes well and I've added directions for that and for reheating.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 (2 ounce) package onion soup mix (for 3 or 4 servings)
- 6 cups boiling water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup celery leaves
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄3 cup dried split peas
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- grated parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, brown meat, drain excess fat.
- Add salt, pepper, oregano, basil, seasoned salt, and onion soup mix.
- Stir in boiling water, tomato sauce, and soy sauce.
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare celery, celery leaves, and carrots; Then add to simmering mixture with split peas and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- Add macaroni and simmer for 30 minutes longer, adding more water if necessary and stirring occasionally.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese over individual servings.
- To freeze: place soup in a rigid container and freeze. To reheat: remove from freezer and thaw. Place soup in saucepan and heat, stirring, until hot.