I stumbled across this recipe one day and decided to try it out. I had never made Risotto before but I wanted to find a recipe that was authentic and out of this world. This recipe is all of that and more. The secret is to stir stir stir. It is going to be worth the time belive me. Try to use fresh herbs if available. I got rave reviews at the dinner table from my DH and my three boys.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms (if using shiitake discard stems) or 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (if using shiitake discard stems)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3/4 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives or 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1Bring the broth to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and keep the stock hot.
- 2Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender and slightly brown, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes longer. Add the rice and stir well, about 30 seconds. Add the wine and simmer, stirring constantly, until the liquid is absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 3/4 cup of the hot broth, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring frequently, until the stock is absorbed. Add the remaining hot broth 3/4 cup at a time, stirring frequently and allowing each addition to be fully absorbed before adding more, until the rice is just tender and the risotto is creamy.
- 3Stir in the 1/4 cup cheese, the thyme, and the butter. If the rice appears dry, add up to 1/4 cup water to loosen the risotto slightly. Season with kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Sprinkle with cheese and chives or parsley.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Wild Mushroom Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (374 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.4
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 15.3 mg
- Sodium 205.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 11.6 g