Prep 45 mins
Cook 6 hrs
- 8 cups milk, scalded
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2⁄3 cup warm water (about 110 degrees)
- 3 packets yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 18 -20 cups whole wheat flour
- Scald milk in a large pot.
- Remove milk from heat and dissolve 1/2 cup honey into it.
- While milk is cooling to room temperature, soften yeast in water with 1 Tablespoon of sugar.
- Add milk to yeast mixture and then add the remaining ingredients except for 3-4 cups of flour.
- Add enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Beat or knead vigorously for at least 15 minutes.
- Let rise until doubled in bulk, about 11/2-2 hours.
- Punch down and form in to 5 loaves (I like'em big!).
- Let rise in greased bread pans until double, about 11/2-2 hours.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
- Cover with foil and bake another 10 minutes.
- Note: for extra fun, add soaked cracked wheat, oatmeal, etc.
- I also use 100% home ground wheat in this and it works great!
Recipezaar scaled down this recipe to 2 loaves for me, with the click of a button! I used about 7.5-8 cups of Stone Ground WW flour, and it turned out nicely. It was my first wheat bread and I am making it again today for family and friends. It's the tiniest bit sweet too. Although I'd like a recipe that wasn't.