1/1 Photo of Best Wacky Cake Ever With Chocolate Glaze
Kozmic Blues's Note:
Every vegan has a Wacky Cake recipe up their sleeve. For those of you that don't know, WACKY CAKE is "wacky" becasue it's a chocolate cake, made without any milk or eggs. Recipes such as this one came to be during the Great Depression, where ingrediets such as milk and eggs were extremely had to come by, and often too expensive for the average family. The "lift" in this cake comes from the reaction between the baking soda and vinegar. I found this recipe burried in a random website, labled as the BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE EVER" and it just so happens to be vegan. The chocolate glaze totally makes this recipe, so do yourself a favor and try it at least once. Cake IS still amazing in its own, dusted with some powdered sugar. I added in the "optional" extracts that I use when making the cake too. They really add a great flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon chocolate extract (optional)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar or 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- for the chocolate glaze
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons margarine (I use Earth Balance vegan margarine)
- 2 tablespoons soymilk or 2 tablespoons almond milk, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2lightly spray a sqare cake pan (mine's 9x9) with nonstick cooking spray.
- 3In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt with a wisk, making sure it is blended together well.
- 4In a large measuring cup add the water, vanilla, oil, and vinegar, ans wisk to combine.
- 5Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix batter until blended together well.
- 6Use a spatula to scrape down the sides if necessary.
- 7Pour batter into cake pan, place in oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
- 8Cool on a rack completely.
- 9For the glaze: in a small saucepan, bring sugar, margarine, milk, and cocoa to a boil.
- 10Stir frequently; then reduce heat to a simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 11Remove from heat and stir for another 5 minutes.
- 12Add vanilla and almond, if using, stir, and immediately pour onto cake.
- 13The glaze will begin to dry really quickly, so if it doesn't cover the whole cake (mine usually does) spread the glaze to the edges quickly, before it dries.
- 14If you like, top with sprinkles, and let cool for a hour.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Wacky Cake Ever With Chocolate Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (115 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.0
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 373.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 37.9 g
- Protein 3.1 g