Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Every vegan has a Wacky Cake recipe up their sleeve. For those of you that don't know, WACKY CAKE is "wacky" becasue it's a chocolate cake, made without any milk or eggs. Recipes such as this one came to be during the Great Depression, where ingrediets such as milk and eggs were extremely had to come by, and often too expensive for the average family. The "lift" in this cake comes from the reaction between the baking soda and vinegar. I found this recipe burried in a random website, labled as the BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE EVER" and it just so happens to be vegan. The chocolate glaze totally makes this recipe, so do yourself a favor and try it at least once. Cake IS still amazing in its own, dusted with some powdered sugar. I added in the "optional" extracts that I use when making the cake too. They really add a great flavor.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chocolate extract (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar or 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- for the chocolate glaze
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons margarine (I use Earth Balance vegan margarine)
- 2 tablespoons soymilk or 2 tablespoons almond milk, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- lightly spray a sqare cake pan (mine's 9x9) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt with a wisk, making sure it is blended together well.
- In a large measuring cup add the water, vanilla, oil, and vinegar, ans wisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix batter until blended together well.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides if necessary.
- Pour batter into cake pan, place in oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack completely.
- For the glaze: in a small saucepan, bring sugar, margarine, milk, and cocoa to a boil.
- Stir frequently; then reduce heat to a simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir for another 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla and almond, if using, stir, and immediately pour onto cake.
- The glaze will begin to dry really quickly, so if it doesn't cover the whole cake (mine usually does) spread the glaze to the edges quickly, before it dries.
- If you like, top with sprinkles, and let cool for a hour.
The title is so true! This really is the best cake ever! I was looking for a birthday cake to decorate and this one was perfect. It was so easy to make and it was absolutely delicious -- moist yet fluffy and oh so chocolatey. And it held up well with all kinds of decorating. Trust me, after making this cake, you won't ever go back to any other recipe.
This was the first cake my Mom taught me to bake. We called it Crazy Cake and would pour the wet ingredients into wells we made in the dry ingredients. The cake always came out very moist and everyone loved it!! It won me first prize in a county fair when I was in grade school! We used a boiled white frosting made with flour, milk, sugar and crisco.