Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
We love Venison. Being such a wonderful lean meat we expecially enjoy chili with it. Here is our version of Venison Chili. (I use my own canned tomatoes and salsa)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground venison
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili seasoning mix (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro (optional)
- 4 cups chopped canned tomatoes
- 3 cups salsa
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans pinto beans
- Brown venison with 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil, with the chopped onions, celery, green peppers, and garlic. Put chopped tomatoes and salsa in a large pot. Add meat mixture, beans and all the spices. Adjust spices to suite your taste. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
- serve with corn bread.
Excellent!! So very easy to make and so tasteful. Thank you so much.
This is the ultimate best! Just now entered hour 2 of cooking in dutch oven. I keep having 'samples'. Everything home canned/grown except the beans: and of course the ground venison. I did soak the meat in some milk and drained; (to kill the wildness out of it). Have already put your recipe in my cook book and will be looking up even more of your recipes. Thank you so much!
This is really good. Very filling. I also used my own home canned tomatoes, salsa and pinto beans. I added some black beans and kidney beans. I even bumped up the spices after I tried it as is. It's great both ways. Thank you for posting. We will be enjoying this again. I made this for My 3 Chefs game.