Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Our family loves this vegan cheese sauce. We're not usually that excited with fake cheeses, but this one has been the exception. Tastes great over nacho chips, baked potatoes, in vegetarian tacos, etc. This recipe has helped us enjoy more vegan meals in our home. We got this recipe from our friend Connie Yroc after she shared this wonderful cheese sauce with nachos with our family one day. After almost losing the recipe last week I realized I must post it right away, because we make it so frequently! Hope you enjoy it. Thanks Connie!
- 828.06 ml water
- 473.18 ml raw cashews
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 3.69 ml paprika
- 4.92 ml garlic powder (heaping)
- 4.92 ml onion powder (heaping)
- 14.78 ml salt
- 198.44 g can pimientos (including the liquid)
- 118.29 ml nutritional yeast (not brewers yeast!)
- Soak raw cashews for a few hours (this will help the sauce be more smooth and less grainy from the nuts though the flavor is good either way).
- Put 2 1/2 cups of water into a blender with all of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended mixture into a saucepan and add the remaining water.
- Heat the mixture in a saucepan for about 20 minutes.
- Stir continually to prevent it from burning.
- Add water to desired consistency (optional).
- Use as a nacho cheese dip or as a replacement for cheese on other yummy foods!
Wow this recipe is AMAZING! I didn't have pimentos so I omitted them, but I added a couple of squirts of SriRacha. I was a cheese lover before I went vegan, but I would prefer this to any jarred nacho cheese. Seriously if you've been meaning to try a non dairy cheese sauce just go ahead and make this.
this is awesome. I've only tried one other vegan cheese sauce recipe and it was ok but this is now my go to one. I couldn't find pimentos at the store so used jarred roasted red pepper and I cut the salt in half. I served with 'refried' beans and salsa. even my very very non-vegan father like it. Well, until his pigs in a blanket came out of the over. I will def make again and will lookforward to finding different ways to use this. Oh, and I added almond milk when it was on the stove to thin in down. made it yummier!
This is great. My 13 year old daughter is not a vegan, yet she DEMANDS I make this at least once a month. When I didn't have a can of pimentos I used a red pepper that I roasted. It was AWESOME! But I still use the canned when I am in a hurry and its great. This is a really great recipe just as it is. Thanks.