Our family loves this vegan cheese sauce. We're not usually that excited with fake cheeses, but this one has been the exception. Tastes great over nacho chips, baked potatoes, in vegetarian tacos, etc. This recipe has helped us enjoy more vegan meals in our home. We got this recipe from our friend Connie Yroc after she shared this wonderful cheese sauce with nachos with our family one day. After almost losing the recipe last week I realized I must post it right away, because we make it so frequently! Hope you enjoy it. Thanks Connie!
- Soak raw cashews for a few hours (this will help the sauce be more smooth and less grainy from the nuts though the flavor is good either way).
- Put 2 1/2 cups of water into a blender with all of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended mixture into a saucepan and add the remaining water.
- Heat the mixture in a saucepan for about 20 minutes.
- Stir continually to prevent it from burning.
- Add water to desired consistency (optional).
- Use as a nacho cheese dip or as a replacement for cheese on other yummy foods!
Wow this recipe is AMAZING! I didn't have pimentos so I omitted them, but I added a couple of squirts of SriRacha. I was a cheese lover before I went vegan, but I would prefer this to any jarred nacho cheese. Seriously if you've been meaning to try a non dairy cheese sauce just go ahead and make this.
This is awesome!! I didn't have pimento so I roasted half a red pepper, subbed half the water for canned coconut milk, used a little less lemon, half the salt and double the nutritional yeast and it's amazing. The red pepper brings so much great flavor.
Love this recipe! But, because I'm lazy, I don't put on the stove. I just let it run in my Vitamix for about 5 mins and it's steaming warm and perfect texture:)