1/1 Photo of Best Turkey Ever!! (Brined)
My dad has made this turkey for the past 3 years at Thanksgiving. This is my 1st Thanksgiving at home and I plan on doing it as well. The meat comes out completely juicy and its just amazing!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 15 lbs turkey (not self Basting or kosher)
- 2 cups table salt (do not substitute equal amounts of kosher salt)
- 2 gallons icy cold water (*)
- 4 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dried rosemary leaves
- 1/2 cup dried thyme, leaves
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled & cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 -6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- as needed fresh fruit (to garnish)
- 1Rinse turkey in cool water.
- 2In a very large clean container (non-corrosive pan or stockpot such as stainless steel or glass or a food-grade plastic container), mix salt and water together until salt dissolves. Stir in brown sugar and spices, mix well until sugar dissolves.
- 3Totally submerge poultry in solution and store, covered, in refrigerator for at least 6 hours and up to 8 hours. Since brining does not preserve meat, the turkey must be kept below 40 degrees F throughout the entire brining process. Ice packs may also be used to keep turkey at a safe temperature of below 40°F.
- 4Remove turkey from brine. Discard brine. Thoroughly rinse turkey under a slow stream of cool water, rubbing gently to release salt and sugar, both inside and out. Pat skin and both interior cavities dry.
- 5* NOTE: The ratio of water to salt is appropriate for a 15-pound turkey. If a larger or smaller turkey is brined, please calculate accordingly.
- 6* *NOTE: Other combinations of herbs may be added including 6-8 bay leaves, 3 cloves garlic and 2 teaspoons black peppercorns. Or a spicy flavor may be achieved by the addition of 1 cup small dried red chile peppers.
- 7In the cavity of turkey, place onion, carrot and celery.
- 8Brush turkey with melted butter.
- 9Roast turkey, breast side down, in a preheated 325 degree F oven for 2 hours. During this time, baste legs and back twice with melted butter.
- 10Remove turkey from oven and protecting your hands, grasp turkey with several layers of clean paper towels at both ends, and turn turkey, breast side up.
- 11Return turkey to oven and continue to roast, basting twice with pan dripping. Continue to roast until internal temperature reaches 170°F in the breast and 180°F in the thigh. NOTE: A brined turkey cooks slightly faster than an unbrined turkey, so check the internal temperature frequently.
- 12Remove turkey from the oven and allow to stand for 20 minutes before carving.
- 13Transfer to a platter and garnish with fresh fruit.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Turkey Ever!! (Brined)
Serving Size: 1 (733 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 22
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 675.7
- Calories from Fat 245
- Total Fat 27.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 216.0 mg
- Sodium 10528.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 38.8 g
- Protein 63.5 g