Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the best soup ever. Iit'll become a family favorite!
- 1 lb hamburger meat
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (Newman's Own-Tomato & Basil is the best for this recipe)
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) packagesof old el paso taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed well
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup water
- shredded taco cheese, as topping
- tortilla chips, for dipping
- Brown beef and onions in frying pan.
- Add all ingredients into a crock pot; simmer on high for 4 hours or simmer on stove top for 1hour.
- When ready to serve, top with cheese and dip with tortilla chips.
This was pretty good. I made a few changes, but nothing major. I used black beans instead of kidney because no one here likes kidney beans. I added about a tablespoon of chopped cilantro and a clove of chopped garlic to the pot (probably should have added more garlic since I really couldn't taste it). It was very good, but I was hoping it would be a little more "soupy". I think next time adding more spaghetti sauce will do it. The taste was right on though. I'll definitely make this one again.
It's really a great and hearty meal in itself. My kids love it with lots of tortilla chips and melted cheese on the side. I used the Del Monte Garlic and basil spaghetti sauce and it worked just fine. Added 1/2 a cup of cheese with the soup and some more for topping. In the words pf Rachel Ray: "its stoup" cross between a stew and a soup! LOL
Exceptional Soup! I used leftover spaghetti sauce I had made the previous night, Gramps Spaghetti Sauce, which was absolutely a perfect pairing with this recipe. I made as directed and put in the crockpot on low for 8 hours. I served with lots of a Mexican mix of cheeses for the perfect meal! I would liken this to the consistency of chili ~ very satisfying and very filling. My husband says, "Job Well Done!!" Thanks for posting, Nad Smith!