Recipe by Terriyaki 2
I got this recipe from a friend more than 20 years ago and it remains a family favorite espcially on hot summer days. I cook the beef early in the morning. Sometimes even chop all of the ingredients then, too, so all I have to do is throw everything together when it is time for dinner. Teenagers especially love this. That is a bonus! Have yet to find anyone who doesn't love this super easy salad for dinner.
Top Review by JaLinGra
This is the taco salad that my mom made for me as a kid, right on down to the Kraft Catalina Dressing. I have made so many variations through the years. While a vegetarian, I made it with tofu (Morningstar Veggie Crumbles work, in a pinch). No longer a veggie, I still play with the ingredients. Turkey works well in lieu of the beef, although the beef tastes great. My favorite chips to use are the Touch of Lime Tostitos. Add anything you have extra of: corn, garbonzo beans, zucchini, cabbage, you name it. Your guests will be pleased.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning (I use Taco Seasoning Mix)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 2 -3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 6 green onions, chopped (I like more)
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans or 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) canlarge black olives, sliced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle Catalina dressing (I use Kraft)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) bag plain Doritos, crumbled into big chunks