Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
These are a little work but well worth the delighted faces of people seeing them for the first time. The base cookie is a little like a sugar cookie, but uses honey as a healthier alternative and gives it a nice flavor.
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups flour (NOT self-rising)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 30 Jolly Rancher candies, many colors
- Cream the butter and sugar; add in the egg, honey, and almond. Sift flour and baking soda together and add; use hands as needed to mix if the electric mixer isn't getting it.
- Refrigerate two hours or overnight (you can make this days in advance and refrigerate up to 5 days before making in an airtight container.).
- Crush the jolly ranchers in a plastic bag with a hammer, we use five different colors with separate bag for each one, and set aside in separate containers. (paper muffin cups work well and no dishes!).
- Line two large baking pans with wax paper; roll out a little over 1/8 inch thick and cut out desired shapes of cookies. Using a clean, sharp knife cut out various shapes in the middle, rerolling scraps until all dough is used up. Place cookies on wax paper and bake at 375°F for 5 minutes (lightly golden). Fill the areas that you had cut out in advance with crushed candies very full, as candies will melt down.
- Bake at 375°F 3 more minutes (candies melted) and cool; peel off wax paper and store in an airtight container.
- *NOTE: Placing a few slices of bread between the cookies will help soak up moisture and prevent the candy center from becoming too hard.
Thanks so much for this recipe, was looking in other sites w/out any responses, & here I asked for it, & voila abt an hour later I had it! Thank you, these make great edible ornaments! Thanks for the storing tip about using bread!