These are a little work but well worth the delighted faces of people seeing them for the first time. The base cookie is a little like a sugar cookie, but uses honey as a healthier alternative and gives it a nice flavor.
- Cream the butter and sugar; add in the egg, honey, and almond. Sift flour and baking soda together and add; use hands as needed to mix if the electric mixer isn't getting it.
- Refrigerate two hours or overnight (you can make this days in advance and refrigerate up to 5 days before making in an airtight container.).
- Crush the jolly ranchers in a plastic bag with a hammer, we use five different colors with separate bag for each one, and set aside in separate containers. (paper muffin cups work well and no dishes!).
- Line two large baking pans with wax paper; roll out a little over 1/8 inch thick and cut out desired shapes of cookies. Using a clean, sharp knife cut out various shapes in the middle, rerolling scraps until all dough is used up. Place cookies on wax paper and bake at 375°F for 5 minutes (lightly golden). Fill the areas that you had cut out in advance with crushed candies very full, as candies will melt down.
- Bake at 375°F 3 more minutes (candies melted) and cool; peel off wax paper and store in an airtight container.
- *NOTE: Placing a few slices of bread between the cookies will help soak up moisture and prevent the candy center from becoming too hard.