When I used to regularly do Christmas craft shows, I always sold this packaged up in Christmas tins; it was a big seller for me. My SIL always hoped it wouldn't sell well, though, so she could eat what didn't sell! Based on a Bonnie Stern recipe.
- When I make this recipe, it's the only time I haul out my hot-air popcorn popper; use 1/3 cup popcorn to achieve the 8 cups of popped corn.
- Preheat oven to 275F; have ready a jelly roll pan.
- Place popped corn in a very large bowl.
- In a large, heavy saucepan over high heat, combine the sugar, butter and corn syrup and bring to a boil; let boil for two minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat.
- Note that it is IMPORTANT to use a large saucepan, as this mixture will bubble up.
- Add baking soda and vanilla to sugar mixture and combine well.
- Pour this mixture over popped corn and combine, then spread mixture out onto jelly roll pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes, stirring well every 10 minutes.
- Let cool before eating.
This recipe is EXCELLENT! It was very easy and does it ever taste good! I made it twice, the first time forgetting about the baking soda and vanilla and it STILL turned out. The second time I didn't forget those two ingredients but also added a smidgen of salt. You gotta try this one!! Instead of the two minute marker, I measured with a candy thermometer to 250 and then dumped the caramel onto the popcorn. This is also easy to double - I used a turkey roasting pan in place of the jellyroll pan and turned my warm caramel corn onto a Silpat to cool.
Absolutely delicious! I drizzled on some melted semisweet chocolate and will be giving this in gift baskets to family. I don't know if it is just my stove, but be careful heating the caramel mixture on high--it boiled way too quickly (before the butter even melted, even though I was stirring rapidly.) I will heat over med/med high next time.
This was great! It it way better than any store bought caramel popcorn I have ever had. After reading reviews I decreased the heat in my oven to 225 since my oven runs hot and only left it in the oven for about 25 minutes, stirring it about 4 times in that time. Also I used 10 cups of popped popcorn and probably next time will use more since it is still pretty heavily coated. All in all this is delicious and I will be making it often I'm sure!