Recipe by SarasotaCook
Pot pie ... what is better. Now I like short cuts believe me. I work too, but take the time to cut up a few vegetables and make the cream sauce right in the pan. Well, add a splash of sherry along with some fresh vegetables, some traditional ingredients like frozen peas, chopped shrimp, crab and scallops, and then top with a flaky biscuit. And dinner. My twist ... I like to top with a little cheese before I top with the crust. Pure comfort food
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled tails off (I used large and rough chopped)
- 3⁄4 lb scallops, rouch chopped (I used bay, the small scallops)
- 8 ounces crabmeat, 1 can if you can't get fresh just pick through to make sure there are no shells
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup diced potato, fine chopped skins off
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 4 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1⁄2 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 8 country biscuits (I used pillsbury, or you can make your own, no cooked)
- 2 tablespoons butter (to brush on the biscuits)
Directions See How It's Made
- Shrimp -- Prepare your shrimp, scallops and vegetables.
- Vegetable Base -- In a large pot, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the celery, onion, mushrooms, and carrots and cook until soft. Add the sherry to deglaze the pan, then the creole seasoning, salt and pepper, flour to make a light roux and then add the half and half and the chicken broth. Bring back to a medium heat to lighten thicken. Add the peas, shrimp, scallops, and fresh parsley and stir to combine. The last minute add the crab.
- Casserole -- Spray the casserole dish or individual baking dishes (soup bowls or small ramikens with Pam or brush with olive oil) and spoon the pot pie mixture inches Top with a little of the grated cheese.
- Topping -- Take the southern biscuits cut in half, top and bottom half (just thinner so they cook quicker) (Pillsbury or any name brand or you can easily make your own if you want.). Just top the individual dishes or you can top the whole casserole dish. The biscuits can be cut to fit the size of the casserole dish. Brush with some butter to make them crusty brown.
- Bake -- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and bake until the biscuits are golden brown and the filling is bubbly. About 20-30 minutes depending on your oven. Cook on the middle shelf.