Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I can hear you thinking “everyone knows how to do roast potatoes”, but bear with me; following this recipe has given me the best never-fail perfect roast potatoes ever! Golden and crisp on the outside, soft and fluffy inside. There are other recipes posted on Recipezaar, but I’ve checked them and these directions are different! Obviously it helps if you use a variety of potato that is especially suitable for roasting (such as Maris Piper, King Edward or Desiree), but this recipe really will give you beautifully roasted potatoes that don’t stick to the pan - the secret to success is in step 2.
- 4 lbs potatoes (chose the best variety you can get for roasting)
- 4 ounces vegetable shortening (such as Trex or Crisco vegetable shortening)
- 3 -4 bay leaves (optional)
- sea salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F, 200 C, gas mark 6; peel the potatoes and cut them into evenly sized halves or chunks.
- Put the potatoes into a large saucepan, cover with cold salted water and bring to the boil; drain the water off as soon as it comes to the boil - this step isn’t to cook the potatoes: it heats them through so they start roasting more quickly - return the potatoes to the hot pan and dry them over the heat (it is important that the potatoes are dry for roasting, otherwise they are likely to stick to the baking tray).
- Slide a large baking tray into the oven to heat up for a few minutes, add the vegetable fat to the potatoes in the hot pan and let it melt; turn the potatoes in the melted fat until they are shiny and well coated, then tip them onto the hot baking tray.
- Place the tray in the oven for about 45 minutes; add the bay leaves, if using, 15 minutes into the cooking time; turn and baste the potatoes a few times during cooking.
- To serve, lift the potatoes from the baking tray with a slotted spoon, sprinkle with sea salt if desired: NOTE - if you are unable to serve the potatoes immediately, do not cover them (they’ll loose their crispiness); instead keep them warm in the oven until you are ready.
These are delicious! I used olive oil, several cloves of garlic, oregano, thyme and rosemary. But the technique is fabulous! I even copied it into my special recipe book, which is a great honor I assure you. Thanks!
This is truly the best recipe for roasted potatoes I've ever had! I'm not a huge fan of potatoes,but this is a recipe that can change my mind! This has now become my "go to" potato recipe! Thanks for posting!
Great potatoes! Used olive oil, some drippings from our roasted chicken, and bay leaves. Perfect!