Lorrie in Montreal's Note:
Mmmm Roast Beast. From Jamie Oliver
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C), and heat a large thick-bottomed roasting tray on the stovetop.
- 2Rub the beef generously with salt, then add a little olive oil to the tray and lightly color the meat for a couple of minutes on all sides.
- 3Lay the onions and bulbs of garlic in the tray with the beef on top of them, then cook in the pre-heated oven for a total of 1 1/2 hours.
- 4While the beef is roasting, parboil your potatoes in salted boiling water for around 10 minutes and drain in a colander.
- 5Toss about to chuff them up, this will make them really crispy.
- 6After 30 minutes, take the tray out and toss in your potatoes and rosemary. With a garlic press or grater, squeeze or grate the cloves of garlic and ginger over everything in the tray.
- 7Shake the tray and whack it back in the oven for the final hour.
- 8Remove the potatoes to a dish to keep warm, place the beef on a plate, covered with foil, to rest, and get your greens and Yorkshire puddings on.
- 9Remove most of the fat from your roasting tray and you should be left with caramelized onions and sticky beef goodness.
- 10Add 1 teaspoon of flour to the tray and mash everything together.
- 11Heat the tray on the stovetop and when hot, add the red wine.
- 12Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes, until your gravy is really tasty and coats back of a spoon.
- 13Add any juice from the beef and feel free to add some water or stock to thin the gravy if you like.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Roast Beef - Jamie Oliver
Serving Size: 1 (4110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 8845.3
- Calories from Fat 3671
- Total Fat 407.9 g
- Saturated Fat 162.1 g
- Cholesterol 1671.5 mg
- Sodium 1564.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 644.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 77.3 g
- Sugars 43.1 g
- Protein 550.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: