Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Mmmm Roast Beast. From Jamie Oliver
- 1 (5 1/2 lb) sirloin beef, French trimmed (2.5 kilograms)
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 3 red onions, halved
- 2 heads garlic, plus
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 7 lbs roasting potatoes, peeled
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 inches gingerroot, peeled and diced
- 2 cups red wine
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C), and heat a large thick-bottomed roasting tray on the stovetop.
- Rub the beef generously with salt, then add a little olive oil to the tray and lightly color the meat for a couple of minutes on all sides.
- Lay the onions and bulbs of garlic in the tray with the beef on top of them, then cook in the pre-heated oven for a total of 1 1/2 hours.
- While the beef is roasting, parboil your potatoes in salted boiling water for around 10 minutes and drain in a colander.
- Toss about to chuff them up, this will make them really crispy.
- After 30 minutes, take the tray out and toss in your potatoes and rosemary. With a garlic press or grater, squeeze or grate the cloves of garlic and ginger over everything in the tray.
- Shake the tray and whack it back in the oven for the final hour.
- Remove the potatoes to a dish to keep warm, place the beef on a plate, covered with foil, to rest, and get your greens and Yorkshire puddings on.
- Remove most of the fat from your roasting tray and you should be left with caramelized onions and sticky beef goodness.
- Add 1 teaspoon of flour to the tray and mash everything together.
- Heat the tray on the stovetop and when hot, add the red wine.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes, until your gravy is really tasty and coats back of a spoon.
- Add any juice from the beef and feel free to add some water or stock to thin the gravy if you like.