Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This came from the April 1998 Chatelaine magazine. Since then, its the ONLY recipe I have used for a good cut of beef. The cooking time indicated here is for a3 lb roast.
- Take roast out of refrigerator- allow time for it to reach room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- If roast is very moist, pat dry with paper towels& place in a roasting pan.
- In a small bowl, combine butter, mustard, horseradish& garlic.
- Using your fingers or a small palette knife, cover outside of roast with the mixture.
- Roast, uncovered, in the centre of oven.
- Allow about 20 minutes per pound for medium rare to medium.
- If you did not bring roast to room temperature, increase the time to 25 minutes per pound.
- Remove to cutting board, tent with foil& allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
okay, i am embarrassed almost to post my review, bcz it is so... well, here goes. Anyway, i am pg and hate cooking right now. I did all my grocery shopping at mach2 with four littles in the van outside, waiting, one of them sick as a dog. I thought i had *two* varities of dijon at home, as well as a German artisanal mustard. Got home, homeschooled, etc - time to make dinner. all i had was French's mustard (you know that stuff all moms have in their fridge for those days when you cave in and feed your children the lovely euphemistically called weinie dogs?) - so.... i used it. No, i didn't wait for my husband to come home and make him go to the grocery store, nor did i pack up my brood. I just closed my eyes, smeared it on and stuffed it in the oven. apart from the scrofulous color, though, i was so relieved to find it was delicious! And the gravy it made was maybe the best ever! (and we make roasts all the time, being in ranch country in the middle of the mad cow crisis here in Canada). Anyway, it gets even worse. Dh took the whole 1/2 roast that was left for his lunch, but i didn't know and was fantasizing about stroganoff all morning (he hates it, so i make it for lunch with the littles!) - when i found it was gone, i was resourceful, cooked up a pound of ground beef, added the leftover gravy and boiled potatos that we had had the night before, and had a delicious albeit somewhat declasse lunch :)
Just had to drop a note. I made this for the second time last night. We had dinner guest and everyone loved it. I used a eye of round roast. The favor was unforgetable. Loved the topping and the presentation was beautiful. Thanks for posting.
This was great, a lovely combination of flavors! I used a bottom round roast and it came out nice and tender. Thanks!