Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious, moist muffin with just the right amount of tang, topped with a sweet cinnamon/sugar struesel topping.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk, soured by mixing it with
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees farinheit.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine 1 and 1/12 cups brown sugar, oil, milk, egg and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and mix throughly until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Fold in rhubarb.
- Spoon evenly into 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in centre of muffins comes out clean.
- Combine 1/3 cup brown sugar, cinnamon and melted butter in a bowl. Spoon over muffins while still warm.
These are very good, tender muffins. I thought there would be too much rhubarb but it was just right. However, my recipe made 18, not 12.
Made these this weekend at the cottage and baked on the grill. Had to cook them a little longer, my husband kept opening the lid. Never made anything with rhubarb before. They were awesome! Easy to make, simple and on hand ingredients, moist and tender. Got to find me some more rhubarb.
Really Good. I have made these twice now. I used buttermilk and 4 cups rhubarb. For the topping I added 1 tablespoon of flour. Baked 12 muffins for 20 minutes. The next time I used my large muffin pan and it made 6 giant muffins. Baked for 30 minutes. Thanks Rita