Recipe by Amy Loo
This is my grandma's recipe that has been passed down through our family. Even people who don't like rhubarb LOVE this cake!! You can't beat the coconut topping you broil on top!! Yum!!
- 2 cups rhubarb, diced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce (original recipe called for shortening or oil)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons canned milk
- 1 cup shredded coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash rhubarb & dice.
- Combine the rhubarb with the 1/2 cup of sugar, set aside.
- Combine the remaining ingrediants, mix on medium to high speed for at least a minute.
- Add the rhubarb & sugar mixture into the batter.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 baking pan, bake at 350 for about 1 hour (you may want to start checking on it at 45 minutes depending on your oven).
- Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes.
- Combine Topping ingrediants in a small saucepan, over medium heat disolve the sugar and melt the butter.
- Spread onto the top of the cake, then place under the broiler until topping begins to bubble (Be careful not to burn!).
- Remove from oven.