1/2 Photos of Best Red Velvet Cake
Originally adapted from 02/14/2007 NY Times. If you have an aversion to artificial food coloring, you can either omit it or substitute 1/4 c. beet juice and add an extra 2 Tbsp. flour. I had no food coloring, so substituted 1 c. red sugar sprinkles for 1 c. of the sugar with great success. Frost with a cream cheese icing of your choice; mine is 1 pkg. neufchatel cheese + 1/2 c. butter +4-5 c. powdered sugar + 1 tsp. vanilla and a little milk to achieve the desired consistency.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk (or 3/4 c. plain unsweetened whole milk yogurt plus 1/2 c. 2% milk)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1Preheat oven to 350F; grease three 9” round cake pans with butter and line bottoms with parchment. (If you’ve only got 2 pans, that’s okay).
- 2Sift flour, cocoa and salt into a bowl.
- 3Cream butter and sugar in an electric mixer until fluffy. Add oil and beat until incorporated. Beat in eggs one at a time. With machine on low, add red food coloring or beet juice, if using, very slowly. (Take care, it may splash.) Add vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk or yogurt & milk in 2 batches. Scrape down bowl and beat just long enough to combine.
- 4Place baking soda in a small dish, stir in vinegar and add to batter with machine running. Beat just until batter is smooth.
- 5Divide batter among pans, place in oven and bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 40-45 minute if using three pans, 50 minute for two pans. Let cool in pans 20 min., then remove from pans, flip layers over and peel off parchment. Cool completely before frosting.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Red Velvet Cake
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 604.4
- Calories from Fat 330
- Total Fat 36.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 90.7 mg
- Sodium 682.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 34.7 g
- Protein 7.0 g