I'm usually not brand loyal, but Best Foods (Hellman's) mayonnaise really does make a difference with this recipe. If you must substitute, please avoid Miracle Whip, because it just doesn't taste right. This recipe was created by my mother in 1957.
- 3 quarts potatoes, boiled,peeled &,cubed
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped dill pickle (not relish)
- 4 ounces diced pimentos
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- 2 cups Best Foods Mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup pickle brine
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- Combine mayo, pickle brine, mustard, salt to make the dressing (pickle brine is the liquid from the dill pickle jar).
- Toss with potatoes and other ingredients.
- Optional ingredients: 1/2 Celsius finely chopped celery and/or 1/2 Celsius finely chopped bell pepper.
- The flavors blend and improve after chilling for several hours or overnight.