1 hr 15 mins
Every year the local service league has an antique fair and luncheon. They have a featured cake each year and this recipe is the featured cake for 2007.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
for the cake
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (16 ounce) package light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
for the peppermint frosting (filling)
for the ganache (top and sides of cake)
- 18 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup whipping cream (heavy)
- 4 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 4 crushed peppermint candies (optional)
- 1For the cake:.
- 2Trace three 9-inch cake pans onto sheets of wax paper. Cut out wax paper circles. Grease the cake pans well with shortening. Place wax paper in bottom of pans. Grease well again over the wax paper. Flour pans well.
- 3Melt chocolate morsels in the microwave on HIGH for 30-second intervals until melted (about 1 1/2 minutes). Stir until smooth.
- 4Beat softened butter and brown sugar at medium speed for about 5 minutes or until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Add melted chocolate, beating until blended.
- 5Sift together flour, baking soda & salt. Gradually add to chocolate mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add hot water. Beat at low speed just until blended. Stir in vanilla. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- 6Bake at 350°f for 30 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks. Remove wax paper. Spread Peppermint Filling evenly between cake layers. Spread Chocolate Ganache evenly on top and sides of cake. (garnish with chopped peppermint candy, if desired).
- 7For the Peppermint Filling.
- 8Beat butter at medium speed until creamy; gradually add powdered sugar alternately with milk, beginning and ending with powdered sugar. Beat after each addition at low speed. Stir in peppermint extract.
- 9For the Ganache.
- 10Microwave chocolate morsels and whipping cream in at 2 quart bowl at MEDIUM power FOR 2 1/2 to 3 minutes or until chocolate begins to melt. Whisk until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Whisk in butter and let stand 20 minutes.
- 11Beat at medium speed 3 to 4 minutes or until soft peaks form.
- 12Ice top and sides of cake with Ganache.
- 13Sprinkle crushed peppermint candies over Ganache.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Peppermint Patty Cake
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1009.2
- Calories from Fat 461
- Total Fat 51.3 g
- Saturated Fat 31.0 g
- Cholesterol 135.9 mg
- Sodium 399.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 137.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 111.9 g
- Protein 8.1 g