Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you love the taste of orange cream popsicles you'll love this cake. I made this for a cookout in the summer and there was no leftovers to go back home.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box orange cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) box orange Jell-O
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- Set out Cool Whip to thaw.
- Prepare cake mix according to directions for a 9x13 pan,.
- After the cake is done and you bring out of oven, poke holes throughout the cake with a fork.
- Prepare Orange jello with 1 cup of boiling water and pour over the cake.
- Allow to cool in pan for 30 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together with hand mixer (or other) instant vanilla pudding with 1 cup milk.
- Stir in orange and vanilla extracts, mix well.
- Fold in Cool whip Spread over the cake and chill for 2 to 3 hours before serving.
I've made this cake twice now and each time it was a huge hit! The only change I made was when mixing the cake I substituted orange juice for the water (equal amounts) - FABULOUS cake - just wish it wasn't so hard to find the orange cake mix!
It really does taste like a dreamscicle! I followed the directions exactly, except for the frosting. I used 2 tsp of orange extract instead of the one vanilla. It amped up the orange flavor!
Recipe is great as is, but I had difficulty finding orange cake mix. Instead I used a white cake mix, substituting 1 cup orange juice for the water called for in the directions on cake mix box and I added the zest of 1 orange. I forgot to get orange extract for the pudding so I added the orange zest to that, too. Children, grandchildren and great grandchildren love it!