Recipe by pink cook
I came with this recipe by the combination of two old recipes kept in my collection, and the result was this tasty coconut creamy pie. Enjoy it.
Top Review by Buster's friend
A fantastic coconut cream pie! The custard is delicious! Good thing as I only made & prebaked a single very deep dish piecrust - left me with 1 3/4 cups leftover custard to nibble on with Boris. Yes, Boris is very taken with the custard too. Used just under 2 cups of whipping cream - it is a beautiful well set pie that is not overly sweet or overly eggy. Yes, I toasted the coconut for the top - next time I'll toast all the coconut. Total keeper - my new go-to show off pie! Thanks for posting, pinky kookie!
- 5 cups half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 (9 inch) baked pie crusts
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- For filling combine half-and-half and butter in saucepan. Bring just to boil over medium heat.
- In medium bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, cornstarch, vanilla and salt until cornstarch is completely dissolved and mixture is well-blended.
- Gradually add to mixture in saucepan, stirring constantly with wire whisk. Cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute or until thickened.
- Add marshmallows and 3/4 cup of the coconut. Cook and stir until marshmallows melt and mixture is well-blended.
- Pour into pie shells and refrigerate at least 2 to 4 hours.
- To make the whip cream topping, whip chilled whipping cream and for best results, the bowl and beaters should be chilled in the freezer. (This allows the cream to reach it's full volume and develop those meringue like peaks).
- Slowly add powdered sugar and then vanilla extract, until cream hold stiff and spread half the meringue over each pie to edge of crust.
- Sprinkle each with 1/4 cup of the remaining coconut on each pie or toasted coconut if you like, and refrigerate until served.
- To toast the coconut: heat oven to 350°F Spread coconut in ungreased shallow pan. Bake uncovered 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- FOR VARIATIONS: Here are other ideas: you can also change the topping with meringue made with egg whites and marshmallow cream instead of the whipping cream topping.
- And for the filling, you can also add 3 oz. cream cheese instead of the marshmallows, if you like. Just before you remove the mixture from the stove, stir in the softened cream cheese, mix well, and enjoy it with a good cup of fresh coffee.