Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
From The Best of the Best from America Cookbook by Gwen McKee & Barbara Mosely, c. 2008.
- 1⁄4 lb bacon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion (Vidalia)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups rice, uncooked
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, pureed
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- In a large frying pan, fry bacon until crisp; remove from pan. Crumble and reserve.
- Saute onion, celery, and green pepper in bacon grease until tender.
- Add rice, tomatoes, crumbled bacon, and seasonings.
- Cook on top of stove for 10 minutes.
- Pour into large, greased casserole dish, cover tightly, and bake at 350* for 1 hour.
This was so good! Chris said to give it deserves 10 stars. I followed the recipe exactly EXCEPT I added tomato sauce instead of pureeing tomatoes. Thanks for a great sidedish!!