Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
Almost award winning !
Make and share this Best of the Best recipe from Food.com.
- 4 lbs beef brisket, cut in 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 lbs flank steaks, coarsely ground
- 1 cup rendered suet or 1 cup bacon fat
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 4 -5 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (wear rubber gloves)
- 4 (4 ounce) canschopped mild green chilies
- 5 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 9 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 8 -10 cups beef broth, from cubes (not canned)
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (3 lb) can pinto beans
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat, brown the meat in small batches using 1 to 2 TBS suet. Add more fat as needed. Drain meat and transfer to a large soup pot( I use a 12qt copper bottom).
- Saute celery, onions and peppers in remaining fat until soft.
- Transfer to the soup pot.
- To the pot, add 4 cans of Chiles, 3 TBS Garlic, 6 TBS Chili Powder, 2 tsp Cumin, 3 Bay Leaves, 2 TBS Paprika and enough Beef Broth to barely cover. Heat to simmer and cook slowly for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring frequently. Add more beef broth as needed.
- Add remaining 2 TBS Garlic, 3 TBS Chili Powder, 2 tsp Cumin, 1 TBS Paprika, 3 tsp Corriander, 2 tsp Cayenne, 1 tsp White Pepper, 1 can Tomatoe Paste and the Pinto Beans. Add enough broth to barely cover.
- Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the Bay Leaves. Add the Refried Beans and simmer until they "dissolve" and the chili thickens.