Laura (Chef #899053)'s Note:
The Chesapeake Bay area is famous for its wealth of seafood: Crab Cakes, Oyster Stew, Steamed Crabs and much more. These culinary favorites are steeped in tradition and prepared with intense pride. The locals are perhaps best known for their culinary love affair with the famous Blue Crab -- and this traditional and delicious She Crab Soup is made from the sweet, delicate meat of the She Crab. A bit of roe adds richness and flavor. Its elegant bisque-like creaminess will delight your senses.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 female crabs, all the meat picked plus
- orange crab roe
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 12 cups fish stock (a flavorful vegetable or chicken stock may be substituted for the fish stock if necessary)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 lemon, juice of, freshly squeezed
- 1Purchase one dozen female crabs already steamed or buy them live and steam them yourself. Pick the crabs for all their meat and reserve the orange roe. In a sauté pan, melt 4 tablespoons butter and sauté the onion and shallots until just tender.
- 2Whisk in the flour and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes while stirring, taking care not to brown the flour mixture. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream and stock. Add in the salt, pepper, Worcestershire Sauce and Tabasco (if using). Cook on medium until the soup thickens, about 15 – 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 3While you are thickening the soup, melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a sauté pan and toss the crabmeat and roe until heated through, 3-4 minutes. Once the soup has thickened add the crabmeat mixture and stir. Add the sherry and lemon juice and simmer for several minutes until heated through.
- 4Serve with a light salad of mixed greens and French bread and enjoy!
- 5You can send a gift of She Crab Soup to a loved one too far away to get Blue Crabs with our popular Chesapeake Bay Tradition Gift Basket. (link: http://www.chesapeakebaygiftbaskets.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=156).
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best of the Bay Recipes...she Crab Soup
Serving Size: 1 (655 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 633.2
- Calories from Fat 441
- Total Fat 49.0 g
- Saturated Fat 29.0 g
- Cholesterol 186.8 mg
- Sodium 1401.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 20.6 g